Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Reflection

I've lived a rich and full life. Indeed, I think I've lived more at 34 than most people do in their entire life.
  • I've been to 47 of the 50 states
  • I've been to more than 20 countries outside the US
  • I've taken 9 cruises
  • I served my country honorably a faithfully as a Paratrooper for almost 7 years, including a combat tour in Iraq
  • I successfully made it through both Airborne, and Air Assault school
  • I made Sergeant in the Army, and got to experience leading soldiers
  • I've lost everything and started over -- numerous times
  • I overcame bankruptcy
  • I completed both a Bachelors and a Masters Degree
  • I made it to the top of my profession
  • I've worked in New York City, or more specifically Manhattan
  • I've owned (and still own) my dream car (A BMW 325i)
  • I've known friendship that transcends time and distance
  • I've experienced the love and adoration from a child that only a parent can know
  • I know what it's like to fall from the sky, and dive to the depths of the ocean
  • I've rapelled from buildings, walls, towers, and hovering helicopters
  • I've piloted an airplane
  • I've been the Jumpmaster and had people entrust me with their life on an actually military jump
  • I accidentally walked through a minefield, and lived to tell about it
  • I've witnessed the miracle of childbirth, and experienced the anguish of death
  • I've seen the attrocities of war, and the resilience of human nature
  • I've gone swimming in a crystal clear lake deep under the ground, inside a cave
  • I've been skinny dipping at natural hotspring
  • I experienced Marti Gras before New Orleans was defined by Katrina
  • I've stared death in the face more times than I'd like to count. In a sense, we've become old friends.
  • I've been honored and reviled; loved and hated; followed and ignored.
  • I've managed to sample most of the spicy seasonings that gives life its variety

In short, I'm almost finished. There are very few things that remain on my checklist. What I have not accomplished is watching my kids to off to college, and writing that book.

2 comments:

Dream Reader said...

You have done a lot in life, but there is so much more. You are going to find more beauty in the world and in your life very soon. As bad as you may feel now, you will feel good again. I promise!!

Anonymous said...

Don't you want to see your grandkids? Even if you have done everything you ever thought you'd want to do, I bet there are still more things you haven't done that you'd enjoy. Why don't you try to make up a list for the second half of your life instead of assuming you've done everything there is to do?

Just a thought.