Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Driven

I think I'll come out of this experience being a better husband. I've come to see that no marriage is bullet proof, no matter how long you've been together, and no matter how it might feel. Every day must be a courtship, and sometimes it's the little things that count the most.

Something that came to mind during my workout this morning was that I'm a very driven person. I also tend to drive those around me, if not by actively pushing them, then passively by driving myself (who can really sit by and slack when someone else is working hard?)

This works really well when I'm in charge of a team, but perhaps not so well if you happen to be my wife. I can't help but wonder if this factored into the present situation at all? Was some small part of it that she got tired of the pace? I'll probably never know.

In any event, I've decided to strive to teach my children a strong work ethic, but also to make sure that they learn to temper their drive with reason. Being driven can achieve great results, but you have to be mindful to not let it consume you. In the end, the brightest flame burns out first, and when the fire goes out, sometimes it cannot be re-lit.

No comments: