Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Daughter's Love

Mixed in with the other emotions I'm going through, is an ample dose of guilt. I feel terribly that I was not able to shelter my kids from this. True, some things are beyond my control, but I still feel responsible for any unhappiness they may have as a result.

My daughter turns 15 in about a week, and my son 13 a week after that. They are both exceptionally smart, and very empathetic. Last night, when we had to tell them their step mom (who, by the way, I've been with more than twice as long as I was with their mother, and who has also been an important figure in their lives) was moving out, it broke my heart. Unbelievably, these two kids, who clearly have their own pain to deal with, were more concerned with my well-being than anything else.

Demonstrative of this point, at about midnight last night, my daughter slipped a note into my room. It was neatly folded, and on the outside was written "Sleep well, Daddy!". The inside makes me cry every time I read it. Here's what it says:

Daddy,

I love you so much!!! To me, you are the bravest person in the world. Tonight is probably going to be the toughest night on you probably in your whole life, but I just want you to know that I feel your pain, too, and I will be here for you all night if you need me. You're the only person I've got to lean on. you're my only friend closer than 2,000 miles. I know things will turn out better, no matter what happens. Things couldn't get much worse than what has happened. If you're there for me, I'll be there for you. I love you! [heart]

[her nickname]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I'am a little late but I just wanted to say that you have raised a very nice younge woman.